//DISPATCH
Sunday, August 2, 2026, 7:56 EDT
MARKETS
| S&P FUTURES | 7,519.25 | +0.63% | |
|---|---|---|---|
| DOW FUTURES | 52,635.00 | +0.49% | |
| NASDAQ FUTURES | 28,404.25 | +0.59% | |
| CRWD | 190.86 | +3.05% | |
| AMZN | 271.58 | +15.32% | |
| SPCX | 108.37 | -3.41% |
Trump pauses planned Iran strikes pending rapid diplomatic deal
Donald Trump said he was cancelling planned US strikes on Iran, conditional on quickly finalizing an agreement to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and address Iran’s nuclear program. The Wall Street Journal reported that Trump said Iran and regional countries asked him to hold off, while the BBC noted Iran’s denial and warnings that it would remain prepared for further attacks. The pause follows escalating strikes, threats and disruptions to shipping across the Middle East.
U.S.// 5 STORIES
The administration is restoring billions in foreign aid and dropping a vandalism case prosecutors say was flawed, even as cyberattacks hit water systems. Trump is tying a $1.8 billion fund to a confirmation fight while approval sits in low 30s.
US restores billions in global health and humanitarian aid
The State Department is resuming major payments to Gavi, Unicef, the World Food Programme and other international organizations after an 18-month freeze on foreign assistance. The commitments include $600 million for vaccine procurement, $800 million for food aid and $218 million for Unicef child-health programs, though they remain below previous spending levels. The New York Times reports that officials cite worsening health threats and the dismantling of USAID as reasons to rely on multilateral partners, while significant appropriated funds remain unspent or designated for agency closeout costs.
Justice Department drops vandalism charge against Olympian after pool review
The US attorney’s office in Washington withdrew its felony vandalism charge against former Olympian David Hearn, concluding that flawed installation and a rushed renovation caused the Reflecting Pool damage. The New York Times reported that the reversal contradicted President Trump’s claim that vandals were responsible and drew a public rebuke from him. The filing also criticized Interior Department and Park Police information that prosecutors said had contributed to the case.
Trump links $1.8 billion fund to Blanche confirmation fight
President Trump said he would revive a proposed $1.8 billion fund for supporters if the Senate does not confirm Todd Blanche as attorney general. Senators Thom Tillis and John Cornyn have delayed the nomination while seeking written assurances that a tax provision in a settlement involving Trump’s lawsuit against the IRS will not be expanded. The New York Times reports that the fund, criticized as a potential taxpayer-financed reward for political allies, had been abandoned by Blanche in June before Trump renewed the proposal as a bargaining tool.
FBI investigates cyberattacks on water systems in Michigan and Minnesota
The FBI is investigating cyberattacks reported by nine Michigan water systems and more than 30 in Minnesota, as warnings highlight suspected Iranian targeting of US water infrastructure. AP reported that Michigan systems continued operating safely with no known public health impacts, while separate wire reporting said some utilities elsewhere issued boil-water notices or switched to manual operations. Investigators have not publicly identified a culprit.
Trump approval falls to low 30s as Republicans weigh political risks
The New York Times reports that recent CNN, AP-NORC and Quinnipiac surveys place President Trump’s approval between 32% and 34%, near historic lows for this point in a second term. The numbers have intensified Republican concerns about the midterm elections, though polarization and redistricting could limit Democratic gains. Trump has dismissed unfavorable polls, while the White House continues to promote his record, offering little indication of an imminent policy course correction.
WORLD// 8 STORIES
Spain’s Ceuta enclave nears normal after mass migrant crossings
Most of the tens of thousands of migrants who entered Spain’s Ceuta enclave from Morocco have returned, while Spanish officials said hundreds remained and at least 67 people died during the crossings. The WSJ reported that shops were reopening as troops escorted migrants to the border and Spain installed a sea barrier. The BBC emphasized how social-media claims and the influx fueled political tensions, with Italy and other European right-wing parties pressing for tougher border measures.
Five dead and 41 missing after Indonesian ferry fire
At least five people died and 41 remained missing after the KMP Mutiara Sentosa 2 ferry caught fire off Indonesia’s Madura island, Reuters reported. The vessel was carrying 271 passengers and crew from Surabaya to Makassar, with 225 rescued; the BBC said footage showed passengers in life jackets abandoning the ship. The cause of the Sunday morning fire was unclear, and search-and-rescue efforts were continuing.
All 10 climbers, including Nirmal Purja, confirmed dead in Pakistan avalanche
All 10 climbers swept away Thursday on Pakistan’s Broad Peak, including renowned British-Nepali mountaineer Nirmal Purja, were confirmed dead, according to Purja’s expedition company. Rescuers found four bodies and recovered three amid harsh weather, while searches continued for the others. The deaths highlight the dangers of high-altitude climbing in northern Pakistan, where avalanches, falling ice and rock, extreme elevation and rapidly changing weather pose persistent risks.
Ukraine’s drone campaign reaches deep into Russian-held territory
The Guardian reports that Ukraine’s Magyar’s Birds brigade has used long-range drones to strike electricity infrastructure in occupied Crimea and other Russian targets, including refineries, warehouses and military logistics sites. Ukrainian commanders say the campaign is stretching Russian air defenses and disrupting fuel and power supplies, while acknowledging that many drones are intercepted. The strikes come as Russian forces continue advancing in parts of the Donbas.
Hamas agrees to disarm as Israeli withdrawal from Gaza remains conditional
President Donald Trump announced a deal under which Hamas would begin disarming, followed by a phased Israeli withdrawal from Gaza and deployment of an International Stabilization Force. Hamas says ending Israeli strikes and establishing a Palestinian state are conditions for surrendering heavy weapons, while Israel has not officially commented and has previously insisted on disarmament before withdrawal. The AP reports that implementation could take months or years and faces major obstacles, including disputes over oversight, sequencing and political will.
Magnitude 5.9 earthquake strikes off New Zealand’s North Island east coast
A magnitude 5.9 earthquake struck off the east coast of New Zealand’s North Island on Sunday, according to Reuters, citing the German Research Centre for Geosciences. The quake occurred at a depth of 10 kilometers, and no impacts or emergency response details were reported.
Bombing at Moscow restaurant kills three and injures 21
A device exploded Saturday night at the Balzi Rossi restaurant on Kudrinskaya Square in central Moscow, according to Russia’s National Anti-Terrorism Committee. Bloomberg reports that those killed were a security guard, a woman suspected of carrying in the device, and a customer; 21 others were injured. Authorities called the incident a terrorist attack, but have not identified a suspected intended target as the investigation continues.
Saudi crown prince voices concern over Trump’s reported Iran strike plans
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman told President Donald Trump in a call that he was concerned about reported US plans for new strikes against Iran, according to Bloomberg, citing Axios and people familiar with the conversation. Axios reported that the prince urged Trump to refrain from new strikes and asked for clarity on the plan, while the White House and Saudi Embassy in Washington declined to comment.
SPORTS// 1 STORY
Baseball’s biggest domino fell: the Dodgers acquired two-time AL Cy Young winner Tarik Skubal from the Tigers for three prospects, bolstering Los Angeles’ rotation while keeping a potential postseason rival from adding the ace.
GAME BOARD
ESPNPOSTGAME
UP NEXT
Dodgers acquire Tarik Skubal, reshaping MLB’s playoff race
ESPN reports the Dodgers acquired two-time American League Cy Young winner Tarik Skubal from the Tigers for prospects Zyhir Hope, River Ryan and Brady Smith. The deal strengthens Los Angeles’ rotation ahead of the trade deadline and keeps Skubal from potentially joining a postseason rival. ESPN graded the Dodgers an A and Detroit a D, citing the uncertainty surrounding the prospects and Skubal’s expiring contract.